The Los Angeles County Sheriff's bomb squad removed two possible explosive devices from a Manhattan Beach home on Thursday, Aug. 20, prompting a partial evacuation and road closure that kept neighbors away for roughly 90 minutes.
Manhattan Beach police received a call at approximately 1:26 p.m. reporting a possible explosive device inside a residence in the 1100 block of Chestnut Avenue, off Manhattan Beach Boulevard. Officer Cole Barba confirmed to Patch that the Sheriff's Department bomb squad had been dispatched.
"The LASD bomb squad was on its way to the scene," Barba told Patch.
The responding unit was the L.A. County Sheriff's Arson and Explosives squad, which was called to determine what the device was and whether it posed a threat, according to KTLA.
A partial evacuation was ordered in the area around the 1100 block, NBC Los Angeles reported. Police issued an emergency alert shortly before 2 p.m. directing residents to avoid the block. Westbound Manhattan Beach Boulevard was shut down at Meadows Avenue while the investigation unfolded. The stretch of Chestnut Avenue sits in a residential neighborhood just off one of the city's busiest east-west corridors.
By 3:30 p.m., Manhattan Beach police issued an updated alert announcing the scene had cleared. The bomb squad took possession of two possible explosive devices from the home, according to MBPD.
Whether the two items are genuine explosives has not been determined. Police have not said what prompted the initial discovery or who placed the call. No injuries were reported.
MBPD and the Sheriff's Department had not released further details as of Thursday afternoon. Residents with information about the incident can contact Manhattan Beach police at (310) 545-6966.






